Sunday 10 April 2011

Observation research involving minors....your thoughts please!!

Hi Guys, just wanted to find out if anybody else is struggling with the same issues as my or if any one has any opinions on what the best course of action is!

As a major part of my research i will be conducting observations at the theatre school I work at which involves working with minors that I already teach on a regular basis. I will be getting signed parental consent from all the children involved, with these the parents will be briefed on what the research is about, how it will benefit their child, time scales involved and the assurance of confidentiality of all names and information.

What I am struggling to decide is whether I should also brief the children on my research and make it be known to them that I will be observing them over a certain period of time. On the one hand I would like to do this as I want to be open and honest with them, but on the other hand if I tell them I am concerned that it may alter their behaviour and make them too aware of what is going on so they don’t act naturally and this in turn could affect my results.

Is anybody else dealing with minors for their research and finding this an issue?!?

1 comment:

  1. Hey. I'm not dealing with minors but am doing observations in the classrooms of over 18 year olds. My concerns were very similar to yours. I obviously have to tell my participants because they are adults and I need their consent but I was worried about them changing their behaviour. What I concluded is that it is just something I will have to take into account when analysing my results.

    I think with regards to you that you should make the children aware. I think they have a right to be told even though it will make your job more difficult. I think it is a positive that you know that group already because you will be more aware if they are changing their behaviour and you will be able to allow for this, or at least discuss it when analysing your data.

    ReplyDelete